Q&A While Exercising R&R

 


By Stevil, 15 January, 2024

With the snail vs. tortoise race that is proving to be the 2024 offseason, there has been plenty of time for speculation, which leads to questions, which leads to the need of a new post. So, here it is. Thanks to everyone on Whats who took the time to irritate me. Kidding. 


Q: Did the Robbie Ray and José Caballero trades make the team better, or were they lateral moves?

A: Not lateral moves. Not flashy, but Seattle has a chance to get something from Haniger (and DeSclafani, for now) while Ray rehabs. Raley could be an every-day player, though he'll probably face a lot more RHPs than lefties. But a lefty with power & speed is far more useful than having a third right-handed utility infielder with no power. So, yes, I think the team is better. These just shouldn't be the last moves we see for bats. 


Q: Is Haniger going to start in right field?

A: I think we'll know the answer to that after spring. If he's healthy and on-track, there's no reason to not start him. Regardless, they'll likely handle him carefully. 


Q: Who do you think will have a breakout year?

A: Good question! I honestly haven't thought about that. On the hitting side, there's a lot to like in Canzone's profile & background. But there isn't really anyone else on the roster who hasn't established themselves, right? I think we know what we're getting with most players. On the pitching side I'd be tempted to say Woo. I think he can be a legitimate number two or three starter. But gun to my head, I'd probably say Vargas. If he can command his pitches better, they'll have another high-leverage reliever not too different from Muñoz. That said, he may not start the season on the active roster. 


Q: Could we see a new first baseman?

A: Another good question. I don't think they're shopping Ty France. But if they could get a player who projects as well or better who's still pre-arb (minimum salary), yeah, maybe--and that could be an outfielder or first baseman. Assuming that doesn't happen, if Seattle falls out of contention early, moving him at the deadline wouldn't be surprising if he's producing. I have a hard time seeing him on the 2025 team, regardless. Bringing in a third baseman is far more likely for the 2024 season. 


Q: What does Seattle still need?

A: In my opinion, as I suggested in the previous response, they really need a third baseman. I'd also argue they need a high-leverage reliever/closer, preferably a lefty--plus pitching depth. I know they've signed a lot of relievers to minor-league deals, and a couple of potential starters, but I'm anticipating more. Depth pieces will likely be an ongoing process though the end of spring. I would imagine that a trade for a third baseman is more likely to happen before spring starts if it's going to happen. We'll see. 

Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *