August Q&A and reverse Q&A
By Stevil, 14 August, 2026.
Finding time to write has been difficult. Interaction with the locals hasn't been much better, but I'll try to address some common questions I've been seeing/hearing and maybe a few of my own as feelers. This won't be edited, so apologies in advance for any mistakes.
That said, let's get to it...
Q: Are they out of the contention?
A: Yes. Can they get back into contention? Yes, of course. There are still 40 games left. But I have reservations given the lack of depth due to injuries and the failure to get more help before the deadline--which is something I'll touch on more when I answer another question.
Q: When is Kade Anderson getting called up?
A: This was probably the single most common question I've seen since May. Dipoto suggested Anderson is a Starter and there isn't (apparently) a plan to use him as a reliever. I still think that could change. I understand wanting to keep him ready in case of injury, but they're nearly at the point where they need to figure out which starter should be in the bullpen. They didn't get that leverage arm they needed. It's hard to understand why they're hesitating to address the need internally.
Q: Should Arroyo or Montes be called up?
A: Rodden is going to replace Emerson. This was already reported and it makes some sense, because it's more about defensive flexibility. Where would they play Arroyo or Montes? They have Arozarena in left, Ward in Right, Young at second, and Canzone at DH. Neither player fit. It's better to let them play every day--and look at how Emerson handled his first stint in the big leagues. He was the better hitting prospect.
Anyway, the hole is likely at short. In all honesty, I wonder if it should be Bliss, but he can't play third and that might be all the difference.
Q: Should they fire Dipoto and Hollander first, or Wilson?
A: I don't think my opinion is going to be popular, but I don't think they should fire Dipoto.
I think Hollander is working under his direction, so they kind of go together, but they have built a successful farm and are doing a good job and ensuring they sustain a strong farm. That is more valuable than most people realize.
They blew the offseason...and they know it. I don't expect them to be fired, but I really want to see them prioritize defense and leverage arms. I won't say too much more, because I want to save detail for the offseason plan.
Wilson probably won't get fired either, but I don't think he's right for the job. I really wonder if Dipoto feels the same and tries to find a create way to move him into a different organizational role. So, that's a yes, I think they should fire Wilson. I just want to be clear about what I expect.
Q: Why didn't we see more at the deadline? Where the prices too high?
A: Yeah, the prices were probably too high, and to be fair, so much has been wrong with players that are supposed to be productive that it's understandable that they may not have been willing to spend more to get help. I suspect they were willing to move another starter, but couldn't get a controllable player they like. Anyway, the point is that their failure to get more may be justified, or at least understandable. But I want to be clear that they wouldn't likely have been in such a desperate situation if they had acquired another leverage arm or two in the offseason. Then there's the bench. They had too many outfielders, and with exception to Robles, none of them offered defensive value. Great plan for a team whose heart was a strong rotation, right?
Q: Is Donovan the third baseman moving forward?
A: This year? Yeah, probably. Next year, I hope not.
Q: Could Arroyo and Montes take left and right field next year?
A: The front office banked on a better prospect in Emerson handing a regular role this year and it hasn't worked out. In fact, that was one of their biggest flaws. Ask yourselves if it makes sense to assume he'll be great next year and that adding Arroyo and Montes at the same time--and expecting them to not struggle like Emerson has and might still struggle--makes sense.
No, that would be a mistake. If they were a rebuilding team, 2-3 years out from contending, it would make sense. But that's not the case. I'm not saying either player can't or won't force a look, but Seattle really shouldn't depend on them to handle regular roles out of the gate.
Q: What happens if they miss the postseason?
A: The same that would happen if they make the postseason: they'll try to get better in the offseason. Again, I don't expect any firings. I'm hopeful for a change of responsibilities and a plan that makes sense for a team with its foundation being the rotation.
How about some questions for everyone else now?
Q: Let's assume Anderson comes up soon. Which starter should be in the bullpen? Anderson, and not assume he would dominate as a starter? Miller? Kirby? What about another 6-man rotation?
Q: Ignore my opinion on prospects, what would you do about third and the outfield corners in the offseason?
Q: Do you think Seattle should move another starter or two in the offseason to address other needs?
Q: Is there an specific managerial candidate that interests you?
Q: Other than better baseball that leads to the postseason (and the World Series), what do you want to see the most over these last 40 games?
Comments
Post a Comment